OOPS

I have no empirical evidence, but I'm going to guess that most regular Yard-apes are not regular perusers of No More Potlucks, the Montreal-based online culture journal. So I commend you to my story "OOPS," just now gone live in their Mea Culpa issue. Guest-editor Mariko Tamaki approached me to write a Mea Culpa story - and I wrote this one, which starts something like this:

   A little electric contraption inside played a song every time you opened it. Da, da da Da. Da, da da Da.


  He hadn't heard the song in nearly ten years, but he would have recognized it even if it hadn't been Sarah Michelle Gellar on the front of the card: wooden stake clutched in one hand, hovering over her breast – her airbrush-smoothed face unmistakably stricken. 

  Whatever had happened with that stake, she hadn't meant it.

  Inside, one word:

  OOPS.

So yard-apes, please accept my apologies. And check out "OOPS," right here.