My pal, the author...

This post should, I hope, prove once and for all that this blog is not just about me, me, me. It is also about my friends: this morning, convicted felon and now Hugo-winning sf author Peter Watts. I got this news from various sources in Australia and beyond, where Peter lost a bet and actually won the Hugo for Best Novelette, for "The Island" last night. It was originally published last year in New Space Opera 2 (ed. Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan). I had the misfortune of critiquing the story before it came out, and finding the only lack in it was that it didn't have a Hugo award.

I'm glad to see that Peter has finally corrected my one significant quibble. My opinion's obviously worth something.

You can read the story, at rifters.com, Peter's website, right here. You'll see what I mean.

Thanks to Allan Weiss, for sending along this photo from Australia, taken after the ceremonies. I'm assuming he took it, so let's say he did.